Thursday, September 11, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Never Forget

PHOTO SOURCE

I had originally toyed around with the idea of naming this post "9/11: What's The Big Deal?" because those were my exact thoughts in the days after the most horrendous thing I've witnessed in my lifetime. You see, I was only 12 years old at the time. My tiny little tween brain could comprehend how sad the whole thing was, but not the effects of such an act of terrorism. I'm not even sure I had ever used the word "terrorism" until that day. But I don't think using an offensive title just to get your attention is appropriate. Today isn't about gimmicks and puns. It's about remembering the lives that were lost on that day and those that have died, fought, and are fighting against terrorism since.

I don't personally know anyone who was killed 13 years ago today, but my heart aches every time I read or hear a story of a family who sent a loved one off to work or to catch a plane, only to never see them again. I cannot, nor do I ever hope to, comprehend how that must feel.

When we set up Throwback Thursdays for once a month, we had no idea that we would be writing a remembrance post about this day. I don't think this is a coincidence. I believe God wants us to "Never Forget" but to also move toward a brighter future. There is a difference in remembering and dwelling. To paraphrase Albus Dumbledore, "It does not do to dwell on [the past] and forget to live, remember that."

I pray that today be a memorial to those whom we have lost and that those left behind who are hurting seek solace in God's love. I pray that we can come together as a nation and as human beings to heal what has been broken.

PHOTO SOURCE

 God Bless,

No comments:

Post a Comment